NOHC has extensive field and research experience in Australia, particularly within New South Wales and the ACT.
We have been involved in international heritage management through a multi-stage conservation project on the Tam Ting Caves in the Lao Peoples Democratic Republic (Laos).
NOHC manage the time-effective conduct of projects through the coordination of efficient field strategies, integrated by-hand and mechanical excavation, and concurrent analysis and report writing.
We have an outstanding record of completing projects on time and within budget.
NOHC has conducted, prepared and/or provided cultural heritage input to:
- Greenfield and Feasibility Studies
- Preliminary Environmental Assessments (ACT)
- Environmental Impact Statements
- Environmental Assessments
- Reviews of Environmental Factors
- Part 3A Environmental Assessments (NSW)
- State Significant Infrastructure (SSI) or Development (SSD) Assessments (NSW)
- Assessments on Commonwealth Land
- Local Environmental Studies
- Cultural Heritage Management Plans (CHMP)
- Due Diligence Assessments
- Heritage components within Construction and Operation Management Plans
- Statements of Environmental Effects
- Local and Regional Heritage Studies
- Heritage Impact Assessments
- Commissions of Inquiry, Land and Environment Court, and Coronial Inquiry proceedings
- Commonwealth Government referred projects
NOHC has experience in the assessment of a wide range of development proposals which includes:
- Airports and airfields,
- Forest industries and paper mills,
- Hard rock, sand and gravel quarries
- Major highways, roads and bridge developments,
- Military training areas and other Defence establishments.
- Mines (including infrastructure, open cut and subsidence assessment)
- Ports, wharves, marinas and boat harbours,
- Rail lines and infrastructure,
- Residential, commercial and industrial developments,
- Road and water tunnels
- Sand dune stabilisation projects
- Sewerage schemes,
- Ski field infrastructure,
- Solar panel farms,
- Tourist and recreation developments,
- Transmission lines and power stations,
- Water supply schemes (including major dams and pipelines); and
- Wind farms.
NOHC has conducted numerous major and high profile cultural heritage studies including studies for the Western Sydney Airport, Second Sydney Airport (1997), Shannon Creek Dam (south of Grafton), Sydney Desalination Plant, Highland Source Pipeline, Eastern Gas Pipeline and East Australian Pipeline, ACT Enlarged Cotter Dam project and major highway projects.
Examples of project types conducted by NOHC are provided below.
HIGHWAY UPGRADES, BYPASSES DUPLICATIONS AND REALIGNMENTS
NOHC has conducted cultural heritage studies for over twenty five major NSW highway upgrade and duplication projects. Consequently we are particularly familiar with the requirements of these projects and the applicable management options and mitigation strategies for heritage sites located in narrow and specified easements.
These studies have included preliminary heritage assessments, route selection studies, comparative analyses, environmental assessments, Aboriginal and historical subsurface testing and salvage programs, Aboriginal cultural values studies, historical oral histories, historical archival recordings, heritage impact statements and heritage management plans.
- Kempsey to Eungai
- Wells Crossing to Iluka
- Banora Point
- Moorland to Herons Creek
- Tintenbar to Ewingsdale
- Coopernook to Herons Creek
- Iluka to Woodburn
- Woodburn to Ballina
- Batemans Bay
- Berry to Bomaderry Upgrade
- Foxground and Berry Bypass
- Gerringong Upgrade
- Milton Ulladulla Bypass
- Tomerong Alternative
NOHC has extensive experience in cultural heritage management and impact assessment relating to the development of power generation facilities and distribution networks within NSW and the ACT.
Our experience extends across the full range of planning and assessment methodologies and includes: greenfield studies for new power generation sites, survey and assessment of proposed large scale overhead and underground transmission line easements, survey and assessment of smaller scale overhead and subsurface power easements, survey and assessment of estates owned or managed by power authorities, and development of management plans and conservation strategies for cultural heritage sites on power authority estates.
- Bamarang Gas Power Station
- Buronga Peaking Power Plant Project
- Dalton Peaking Power Plant
- Herons Creek Peaking Power Plant
- Kerrawary Power Station
- Leafs Gully Gas Turbine Power Station
- Marulan Gas Turbine Facilities Project
WATER SUPPLY AND SEWERAGE PROJECTS
NOHC has conducted cultural heritage studies for over forty major NSW and ACT water supply projects and sewerage schemes. Works conducted by NOHC for these projects have included comprehensive field surveys, environmental assessments, Aboriginal and historical subsurface testing and salvage programs, historical archival recordings, preparation of Conservation Management Plans (ACT), and artefact repatriation programs.
- ACT Water Security Program – Enlarged Cotter Dam
- ACT Water Security Program – Murrumbidgee to Googong Raw Water Transfer
- Chaffey Dam
- Clarence Valley and Coffs Harbour Water Supply Scheme
- Cowangs to Bauloora Water Pipeline
- Highlands Source Water Pipeline Project
- Keepit Dam
- Koondrook-Perricoota Forest Flood Enhancement Works
- Lake Brewster Water Efficiency Scheme
- Quilpolly Dam
- Shannon Creek Dam, near Grafton
- Sydney Desalinated Water Delivery System
- Wallerang to Orange Water Pipeline Project Sewerage Schemes
- Conjola Sewerage Scheme
- Currarong Sewerage Scheme
- Gerroa Sewerage Scheme
- Kangaroo Valley Sewerage Scheme
- Lake Tabourie and Turlinjah Sewerage Scheme
- Milton-Ulladulla Sewerage Scheme
- Mittagong Regional Sewerage Scheme
- The Illawarra Waste Water Project
- Vincentia Sewerage Scheme
- Western Sydney Recycled Water Initiative
NOHC has conducted numerous studies relating to coal mining in the Illawarra, Hunter Valley and western coal reserves areas in NSW. Over twenty reports have been prepared for BHP Coal documenting archaeological surveys and assessments of borehole sites, seismic lines, waste water pipeline easements, and gas pipelines.
Studies have included desktop reviews, small and large-scale field surveys, small and large-scale excavation programs, construction and operation management plans, heritage studies and plans of management.
Western Coal Reserves
- Brimstone Colliery
- Oakdale Colliery
- Anvil Hill Coal Project
- Bulga Mining Lease
- Wambo Coal Project
- Wilpinjong Coal Project
RESIDENTIAL, COMMERCIAL AND INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENTS
Navin Officer Heritage Consultants has conducted over 300 studies relating to rezoning proposals, residential subdivisions and land release areas.
Our consultants have worked in most areas of NSW, the ACT and also in Victoria. Consequently we are particularly familiar with the requirements of these projects and the applicable management options and mitigation strategies for heritage sites located in areas proposed for rezoning and changed landuse.
- Barlings Beach – Residential
- Byron Bay – Commercial
- Comberton Grange – Commercial
- Eden Cove – SEPP71 Master Plan
- Edmondson Park – Residential
- Elambra Estate, Gerringong – Residential
- Erskine Park Industrial Area – Industrial
- Googong New Town – Residential
- Harrington Park – Residential
- Minto – Urban Renewal Project
- Narrawallee Estate- Residential
- Pitt Town – Residential
- South Tralee – Residential
- The Crossroads, Liverpool – Industrial
- Wilton Park – Rural Residential